Author Topic: New CFX Arrived Fri. Afternoon  (Read 2195 times)

New CFX Arrived Fri. Afternoon
« on: January 06, 2007, 07:55:48 PM »
It supprised me how quickly Gamo USA filled and shipped my order.  Less than four days!!  

I ordered one of the SCI promotional packages, GFX, BSA 2x7x32 ao scope.  Didn't seem like a bad deal, priced the scope on several sights 59 - 89 dollars.  Bought the whole package for a little more than 200 bucks.

My current airgun is a daisy 1000s powerline.  I don't exactly know why, but I seen this CFX in an add and had to have it.  The only way I can tell anything about an airgun is reviews or advertisements neither is very reliable.  Out here, where I live, you will not be able to put your hands on one very easily.

The rifle arrived in excellent shape.  I did not receive the scope stop, should I go to the trouble of trying to get it from Gamo, or go a different route.

The rifle arrived before the pellets I ordered a week before.  Have some cheap daisy wadcutters I bought when I purchased the powerline.  Did not want to use the scope mounts so decided to shoot some of these pellets with open sights.  After 20 - 25 pellets I was consistently putting three pellets in a 1 in. sq. at 20 yrds.  That made me pretty happy considering I have no info on the pellets.  By the way the serial number is on the barrel!!  I guess this is important, I have seen several postings and articles on the subject.

The scope looks pretty nice.  I think it will fit my bill for awhile.  Question, if I purchase one piece scope mounts do I need the scope stop?

I am going to wait on mounting the scope until I can get some decent mounts for it.  Besides it's kind of fun shooting open sights again.

I wish I had a cronograph.  My powerline is supposed to shoot .177 pellets at 1,000 ft./ sec. and it feels like it.  This CFX is alot easier to cock, it shoots smoother, it's quieter, and it is supposed to pitch pellets at 1,000 ft./ sec.  Is this right?

I guess that's it for now fellas.  Hope to get feedback, good or bad.

Thanks,
       Perry

P.S.  With this purchase, because of promotion, I am supporting some sort of hunting organization.  I don't even know exactly what it is.  I hope it's a good thing.

RE: New CFX Arrived Fri. Afternoon
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 11:46:17 PM »
You'll enjoy the CFX; it's an excellent gun. I wish we (in the UK) could buy them at your prices though! My CFX Royal, without a scope, cost $310 plus shipping and thats at almost 20% discount on our "recommended retail price"! Good choice, you won't regret it.

PS. Yes, you will need the scope stop and preferably 4 screw one piece mounts. Although it shoots smoothly for the operator, it gives a hell of a double plus rotational recoil to the scope. My AGS (Chinese made, but good British brand), spring gun rated, has had the reticule turned to 2 o'clock in 40 shots!!! Needless to say it's going back on warranty tomorrow. No stop and the scope will walk off the mounts.

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 12:11:00 AM »
Hello perrybmw, have you checked out the scope and mount reviews forum. Peterdragin also makes high quality parts for CFX'S including aluminum scope stops. htt://home.comcast.net/~peterdragin/index.html/ good luck on your new rifle. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

scope stop
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 01:23:09 AM »
Hi perrybmw,
I have the "regular" CFX and mine has a scope rail on top.  Some have a grooved receiver with no scope stop holes in them, but others (like mine) have a scope rail which has scope stop holes in the top of the rail.  The photo on the GAMOUSA web site shows that the CFX SCI has a scope rail.  If yours does also, you won't need the GAMO scope stop.  All you would have to get is a mount that includes a scope stop pin, like accushot, and that will do the trick.  Actually, I've never found that the GAMO scope stop has worked very well anyway on the grooved receiver.
Also, you probably won't get 1000 fps out of your CFX unless you use very light pellets. Usually with normal medium weight pellets you can expect fps in the upper 800's.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 02:05:11 AM »
I think you'll really like this gun.  I got one about a month or so ago and am waiting on Rich's trigger mod and scope mounts to arrive so I can scope it.  Even with the dinky open sights I can hit a can every shot at 30 yards, but I have to keep checking the elevation screw...it unscrews slightly with each shot.  I can tell this is an accurate gun just from shooting offhand and seated positions, when I miss I know it's me and not the gun.  Some years back I had a HW97K which is a german made underlever rifle and for less than half the price, the cfx is more than half the gun.  It's lighter, seems just as accurate and most importantly is just as fun (if not more) to shoot as the hw guns.  Plus you can tinker with it to make it even better and you don't have to worry about it getting nicked or scratched up a little if it falls.  BTW, is the BMW a bike?  Which one?  
                                  Regards, Scott

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 02:48:51 AM »
The BMW does refer to a motorcycle.  Current model is a R1150RT 2002 model in silver, which everyone knows, is the fastest color!!!

I was having trouble with the rear sight spinning the elevation knob during shooting.  I think I have it figured out.  If you unscrew that ajustment screw all the way out you will see a little protrusion, this is supposed to click on the lines molded into the bottom of the knob.

I believe the reason they don't, is because of the height of the front sight, you have to adjust it too far out to come in contact with the knob.

I bent the metal over far enough at the front and the back where the two halves meet to engage the stops.  Just barely managed to get it down far enough for the adjustment I needed.

Thanks for the post, hope this helps,

Perry

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 06:48:32 AM »
I used to have an '01 1150GS...great bike, but I sold it 'cause I moved up to the hills of WV to simplify my life.  .......I MISS THAT BIKE!  There's some great roads here that just make me miss it more.  I'm gettin all misty eyed just thinking about it.  Ooops, forgot this is an airgun forum  :)
                                            Regards, Scott