Author Topic: Oh man, now I've done it.......  (Read 5832 times)

Offline airiscool

• http://
RE: Oh man, now I've done it.......
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2009, 03:53:46 AM »
Sporting clays is great fun, but as you've found out, it can also be expensive for the cost per clay thrown.. and it can be very intimidating/frustrating for many  beginers.

Skeet is a very good way toquickly  learn changes of lead with changes of position at minumal cost per clay thrown. For practice, many teachers have a studant stand on one station and shoot all 25 birds from the station to help "burn" the visual lead for that angle into your brain.  For sporting courses can afford to do that for a beginer.

Also, clubs that do "Five Stand" (Sporting clys done on a skeet field) tend to charge less per clay thrown because they can do it with the fewer trap machines.  Also, Trap will help learn the longer, shallower angles.

And my favorite is" Wobble Trap". A standard trap machine which is not only the random swing laft and right, but has an aditional motor/gear box for random vertical too........ then work your way out 10-15 yards, or more to either side of the standard  trap stations ...... real fun for about as cheap as it gets !!!!!

Paul.
Benji Trail NPXL 1100, Gamo .22 Whisper, Crosman 760 Pumpmaster, Crosman 66 Powermaster, Crosman .22 revolver, Daisy model 102, Daisy early Model 25.

Offline jwh2

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2009, 04:36:30 AM »
airiscool - 7/2/2009  9:53 AM
Also, clubs that do "Five Stand" (Sporting clys done on a skeet field) tend to charge less per clay thrown because they can do it with the fewer trap machines.  Also, Trap will help learn the longer, shallower angles.
And my favorite is" Wobble Trap". A standard trap machine which is not only the random swing laft and right, but has an aditional motor/gear box for random vertical too........ then work your way out 10-15 yards, or more to either side of the standard  trap stations ...... real fun for about as cheap as it gets !!!!!
Paul.

We shoot wobble trap Tuesdays and 3 Saturdays a month. We do 5 stand with 8 throwers on the other Saturday. At $25.00 a year and $4.00 a round it's hard to beat.
James
Beeman R1 (.22) Hawke 4-12x40
Beeman HW 97 (.20) Hawke 4-12x40
Beeman R9 (.177) Hawke 4-12x40
HW50S-AW-Nickel (.22) Hawke 3-9X40
Beeman R7 (.20) Hawke 2-7X32
Beeman P1 (.177)

Offline leadbottom

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2009, 04:54:04 AM »
kirby999 - 6/29/2009  8:51 PM

Back away  Dan !!! it can get real expensive  , even more than airguns . Don't ever try sporting clays . Talk about fun. My wife and I went a few times with a friend of mine and her husband  a few years back. Cost me about $75-$100 each time we went  IIRC , and I was shooting a  Remington 870 20 gauge  . kirby

Yea I'd like to get back into some firearms shooting, especially pistol, but ammo prices are so high now.