Author Topic: Recommend a Good Scope that holds zero?  (Read 10635 times)

Offline shootembob

• GTA Donations
Recommend a Good Scope that holds zero?
« on: December 29, 2009, 01:05:56 AM »
Howdy y'all
I am new to this forum thing.....however I have been shooting guns since I was 12.
I am an IDPA shooter, and the recent high prices of ammo (I even reload my own) has caused me to look for something more
economical.
I recently purchased a Crosman Storm XT, refurbished. Man .....I like this gun!! I've had a blast with it.
However, I think my ZERO is getting out of whack after 2-3 shooting sessions. Yes I have everything tight.
Any recommendations on a good scope, either fixed or adjustable, that holds ZERO and has a good stop with it?
Thanks in advance
Bob

Offline kp4att

• http://
Re: Recommend a Good Scope that holds zero?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 01:34:49 AM »
WELCOME TO GTA FORUM. I own 4 CENTERPOINT SCOPES and those are excellent scopes and come with a variety of power. Check Airgun Depot and Pyramid Air they sell those. Check in the MALL  section in the upper portion of this web site to see those scopes dealers.  You can buy any of those that are designed for air rifles. / GERALD
-------------------------------------------------------------
GERALD (KP4-ATT): PUERTO RICO ISLAND!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------

(Feb 3, 2010)
SUMATRA 500cc .22 - mira: Centerpoint 6-24 x 50 mm

MARAUDER .177 - mira: Leapers 8-32 x 56 mm (30mm)

RWS 48 .177 -     mira: Leapers 4-16 x 50 mm

RWS 350 .22  -  mira Centerpoint 3-9 x 50 mm

GAMO WHISPER VH .177 - mira BSA Panther 2.5-10 x 44 mm

953 .177 (INDOOR) - mira Simmons 3-9 x 32 mm

Offline shootembob

• GTA Donations
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 07:20:12 AM »
Howdy & thanks for the reply.

ALSO, IF YOUR A MILITARY VETERAN, THEN I SINCERELY THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY, AND FREEDOM!!!!!

The scope that came with it is a Mil-dot Centerpoint 3x9.  
It may just be me.  My strong point is Pistol, but I love this rifle.  I'm not too steady with the off-hand position.  But the trigger on this gun really leaves something to be desired.  
I am considering having it tuned and the GRT3 trigger put in. But I only paid $80 for the rifle and the tune up is $149.
Ok sorry, I've rambled on enough
Thanks again for the reply.

Offline Magnum

RE: Recommend a Good Scope that holds zero?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:26:25 AM »
Hey Bob and welcome:) I have had great success with the Hawke mappro and airmax scopes they are super clear and top class IMO:)  I purchased them from " Bhawanna / Roger" great to deal with you may like to PM him for spec/info on the best chioces.. hawke one piece mounts are also one of the best I have seen. I also have centerpoint 4-16x40AO from wally world and leapers 3-9x50AO if your looking for less cost they seem to work well for the money:) Tony.
Thought I would add.. there was a recent post i think with some good info on scope chioces . not all scopes are air gun rated and even then some are for low power and not high power and IMO a good one piece mount is a must:)

Offline shootembob

• GTA Donations
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 01:01:58 AM »
ok.  ...thanks much for the info

Offline alphakilla

• GTA Donations
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 03:11:45 PM »
i've had my Storm for 5 years and it's blown through every scope I've ever put onit.  I mean to say that IMO don't waste your time trying to get a scope to hold zero on that one.  I nearly pulled every hair outta my head trying.  It now sits with the iron sights.  The only reason I keep the gun is because it's a great non scope hunting/plinking rifle.  Use the iron sights and you'll hit everything you aim at.  Just my 5 years worth
Killin\' is my business ladies and, business is good!

Offline snookman

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 02:46:44 AM »
Check out straightshooters.com,they have their scopes listed from light recoil all the way to heavy recoil.I don't know how much you are willing to spend,but the old saying "Buy cheap,buy twice." really applies to heavy recoil airguns. I have a Leupold VX-ll 3-9x33 AO EFR that is kind of expensive,but is absolutely bullet proof. Good luck,and welcome to the forum.snookman
Together we stand. Divided we fall.

SECOND AMENDMENT
 A well regulated Militia being necessary to the
security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
What part of \"SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED\" don\'t they understand?

Offline gamo2hammerli

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 11:30:25 AM »

Wow....three new members on one thread....at least I believe I haven't seen those callnames before:

shootembob

alphakilla

snookman

A BIG WELCOME to the GTA forum and family.

As for a scope on the Storm......I have a Storm and a Sierra Pro with their "package" scopes + mounts. Both of those scopes lasted over 1700 shots before losing zero....they were both Centerpoints....pretty decent for their price and quality I suppose.

Right now the Sierra Pro is scopeless....I use her for the 25 Yd. GTA Open Sights Rifle match.

The Storm now have a Bushnell Banner 4X12-40mm AO on her.....and have not had any problems.

All my air rifles are not tuned....only abit of heavy tar on the main spring.

Most of my aftermarket scopes are Bushnells....read that all their scopes are airgun rated. Although one of my Bushnell did lose zero after 700+ shots.....sent a $10.00 check and returned the scope and got a brand-new one 7 weeks later. I've put over 1200 thru that air rifle (Gamo Big Cat)with the exchanged scope....no problem yet.

BTW, Bushnell scopes are guaranteed lifetime and no need to send in a registration card or anything.

Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,

Offline alphakilla

• GTA Donations
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 04:25:36 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, GamoH!!!  I am glad to hear the scope is working out for you on the Storm and, I sure miss having one on mine.  I wish someone could take a look at mine and fix it.  I would gladly pay.  I'm thinking that there may be some internal problems causing excessive vibration making it impossible to scope mine.  I'm hoping shootembob can solve his problem because the Storm IMO is a great shooting .177 with plenty of pop. :)   BTW, the latest scope/mount I tried was a Beeman 4x32mm  w/1 piece mount.  Maybe I'll get one of the ones you mentioned GamoH
Killin\' is my business ladies and, business is good!

Offline gamo2hammerli

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 04:57:28 PM »

As far as I know, I don't think Beeman or Gamo or Crosman make their own scopes. They most likely have some scope manufacturer slap on their logo onto a cheap scope.....that's why most seasoned airgunners would rather buy just the air rifle if possible and pick up a more decent/better aftermarket scope.

The "Package" scopes are usually junk (Not too clear or fuzzy around the edges and sometimes the elevation and windage knobs are not that accurate)....sometimes you get lucky with a few (Over 1700 shots) and other times the scope breaks only after a few hundred shots or less. But with those "packages"....most of the time you can send the scope back and get an exchange if the gun is still under warranty. Some companies i.e. Gamo want the whole kit/combo send back to them....which costs you more money for the postage and handling than if just sending them the scope.

Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,

Offline djmyers

Hey Magnum hows the centerpoint 4-16x40AO
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 02:18:21 AM »
I saw that thing at wally world about 2 weeks ago and have been chomping at the bit now. It looks like a great scope and am looking at it to put on my 350. What did you put yours on? adn how does it handle recoil?
Gamo Hunter gas piston GRT 3 leapers 3-9x40ao
Big Cat GRT 3 leapers tactedge  
Diasy 120
RWS 350 mag PG2 leapers 4-16x50ao
Crossman 2200
Crossman 2250
Crossman 1377
Daisy 880
2 Chinese underlevers
2 European break barrels.

Offline Magnum

Re: hows the centerpoint 4-16x40AO
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 04:24:53 AM »
I have a leapers 3-9x50AO on my 350 magnum and no issues at all, it is tuned which I think helps:) IMO the centerpoint is in the  medium recoil group and I have one on a Gamo shadow 1000 and  a diana 34 with no issues.  I had one on a Gamo shadow extreme and it broke after only 50 or so shots, I took it back to wally and got another one and working great so far:)  On theory i have is that some are just duds from the get go but once you have a good one the should be fine.
I would still recomend the Hawke line of scopes for a few more dollars as a good bet,  I get mine from Roger at  airgunrecon.com :)

Offline tjk

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 06:06:08 AM »
Bob, the best prevention to busting scopes is to tune your rifle, or have it tuned. My Sierra-Pro was a monster recoilling scope breaker. It's pretty much hit or miss whether a rifle in this class will shoot fair or harsh ( Crosman Quest varients, Gamo Shadow series guns etc). Once tuned, these rifles feel and shoot so much better than in their pure stock condition,.....Chinese mystery oils and all. You don't neccesarily have to go the full tilt custom parts tune, just build a spring compressor (as seen in the library section), order a set of lubes from Maccarri, and give it the old de-burr/lube treatment. That alone is well worth the trouble. If you have a Quest with the stamped metal trigger, then the GRT-III trigger is a must!!!! Best wishes, tjk
397 Benji-98\' model    
Marksman  0035, My Fav!,CDT T\'d
Crosman Sierra-Pro,.177
Benji 392 08\'
CDT TT\'d RWS 34 .22,CP 4-16X40 AO
MM T\'d Marksman 0035
Crosman G1 Extreme
Daisy PowerLine 1000
TF-97 .22
B-28A MM T\'d
B-28 OEM Tuned by me
Beeman .22 RX-2 w/Theoben GR