Author Topic: New Daisy 25 tear down  (Read 32135 times)

Offline joe-joe guns

• http://
Re: New Daisy 25 tear down
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 02:52:14 PM »
Larry I thought it was just mine so I didn't mention it.No there is no other trick ,the assembly is tight.First time I took mine out I got a nice little gash on my finger.As far as the tool is concerned yes 3/4 outside dia.
AA S400 .22...Custom stock .22 Disco...Super Streak .22....Diana M34 .177....Daisy model 25 (new issue)....Diana M350 .177.....Daisy Powerline 1000X .177

Offline LARRYPIRRONE

• GTA Donations
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 04:40:12 PM »
actually i was able to do it without a tool. the tab nearly fell out after i got it pushed part way. no spring tension of any consequence was holding against it. i then put a wood block against the round part of  the slide where it pins to  the rear piece that slides out. tapped it out. i think it will go back easier since i have polished the surfaces and will lube them with moly.

this thing is a bur fest. everything that slides has rough burs. i am de-buring and fitting all those parts so they will be smoother. there is a lot of slop between the spring and guide. might put a piece of shrink tube on it but that may slow it down. not sure what i will do about the spring. i have some spacers that will fit.  how did you determine that it can't take any more spacing than you used?  

for lube i will moly most everything that slides against metal. i am wondering what to use on the sprng. in most rifles i would use JM"s tar but t hat would probably slow it down. i am thinking abuot moly on  the spring since i am not worried about it dieseling.  just that mght speed it up. did you keep the foam oil ring?

Offline joe-joe guns

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 07:24:36 AM »
Since I greased it I eliminated the foam ring,I believe it's there to hold oil and the grease should take care of that.I determined the spring was near maxed out when I put it together and could see the spring coils pert near touching each other through the oil hole when cocked.Like those burs do ya?looks like you could saw a small tree down with that spring guide.lol........Let us know how she comes out.I found some springs that would work at Sears hardware but it doesn't look like the guts would take too much more stress.
AA S400 .22...Custom stock .22 Disco...Super Streak .22....Diana M34 .177....Daisy model 25 (new issue)....Diana M350 .177.....Daisy Powerline 1000X .177

Offline LARRYPIRRONE

• GTA Donations
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 08:55:17 AM »
jm has a "universal mini spring that has slightly thicker wire and is just over .5 inside diameter. it would be a close fit inside the tube and it is 29 coils. it would have to be shortened quite a bit and might not do much for it. i will see how some spacing and the de-bur, polish and lube works out. i think moly is the best lube because it works well for metal to metal and bcomes bonded to the metal. you don't need heavy application. i will put everywhere that friction could occur. i also polished the cocking shoe that engages the slide. and i polised the air tube and will moly that as well. just reducing friction might add some fps. i used a polishing wheel and ruege to to polish surfaces. i used a file and sandpaper to de-bur.
i cut a couple of coils out of the silver trigger return spring and de-bured the sear but not modify its shape or the amount of engagement.

Offline LARRYPIRRONE

• GTA Donations
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 04:36:10 PM »
its all back together now. i did not space the spring. just moly on everything. it feels a little smoother when i cock it and it feels a little more snappy. will not really know untill i shoot it over the chrony which is at my office. tomorrow i will see if just de-bur and lube does anything.
i did put a pretty good coat of moly on the piston seal. i am not getting a spray of oil but i do get a little puff of smoke. i can't imagine it dieseling but maybe. anyway it feels like it is speeding up a little as i shoot it.  i tore the little foam oil colar but there is enough moly to keep it lubed for
quite a while.

Offline LARRYPIRRONE

• GTA Donations
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 08:20:58 AM »
ok, the chrony says i picked up about 15 fps. the high was 339. this with no spring change. just lube, polish and de-bur. i did not re-size the seal and it is still tight so i bet it will be shooting
to spec as it breaks in.

Offline airiscool

RE: New Daisy 25 tear down
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 11:11:20 AM »
Larry;
Just curious, what did you get for extreme spread on the chrony string?

Maybe just coincedence, but mine gained 80 fps by oiling, but the spread stayed the same at 19.

Joe-joe's shimmed-up model 25 has an extreme spread of 17.

I wonder if that's a common range of extreme spread, due to production tolerances of the BB's ????

Paul.
Benji Trail NPXL 1100, Gamo .22 Whisper, Crosman 760 Pumpmaster, Crosman 66 Powermaster, Crosman .22 revolver, Daisy model 102, Daisy early Model 25.

Offline LARRYPIRRONE

• GTA Donations
RE: New Daisy 25 tear down
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 11:33:54 AM »
i only wrote down the extreme spread on my first out of the box string. that was 11.85.