Author Topic: riddle solved  (Read 12893 times)

Offline ezman604

• Owner/Executive Administrator
RE: riddle solved
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 06:03:56 PM »

Totally understand the heat and skeeters comments. LOL

With the daytime temp hitting 100, I try to shoot early in the morning of just before dark. And the skeeters, they tote off small children around here.

Back to the target picture. Sorry, it still has me puzzled. What is the sticker attached to? Photo kinda appears to be a piece of tile but could be woodgrain too. It looks strange cause there's holes in the sticker but no pass-through or embedded rounds behind it. May be just my eyes...LOL.

Crosman/Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1500 (bone stock)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (project gun)
TF89 .22 (tuned by Gene)
Winchester 1000WS .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
QB57 (l

Offline darryl

• http://
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 03:17:27 AM »
EZ,
You won't believe it but that sticker is just attached to a piece of 8x11 white paper from my printer (works well- just place sticker on paper, place paper on thick wooden back stop). The problem comes in that I was using the camera on my little Motorola cell phone. I had to take the paper off and hold it up against
a door just to get the camera to see it in adequate light. Apparently the camera sees things a little different from you or I. How it saw a green background is beyond me. It's white paper, like I said. I don't have a digital camera. I do have a Canon FT SLR datnig back to 1969, as well as a Yashica 635 box/portrait camera from the same era.  :) Sorry for the confusion.

Guess what? My scope loosened up. My POI started creeping, and I suspected the scope right away. I cleaned all parts in alcohol before applying Loctite #242, and let it sit for 12 hours, but in the end I found a ring screw that seemed too easy to turn. :0 It is now with a spirit of adventure that I start over with mounting the scope. May the ghost of Shotgun Gibbs guide my hands.
darryl
sorry about your cat Mrs.B. I thought it was a squirrel. Well, one down; eight to go! No Ma\'am. Not funny.

Offline ezman604

• Owner/Executive Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 03:24:28 AM »

Darryl, thanks for the explanation of the photo. Sorry, I'm just a curious old guy. LOL

And good deal on hopefully finding the creeping shot issue.Cleaning and applying loctite should take care of the problem. Let us know.

Crosman/Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1500 (bone stock)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (project gun)
TF89 .22 (tuned by Gene)
Winchester 1000WS .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
QB57 (l

Offline darryl

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 05:20:40 AM »
OK. Here we go! (Didn't the Joker say that in Dark Knight?) Anyway, I've removed the rear shimming to perform a pure comparative barrel test to determine if the barrel fit(s) actually did produce the same POI when I switched from one to the other. I've attached an image of my results.Very impressive. But as you can see, there is a bit of a problem. I'm using the Accushot high-mount unit with the CenterPoint 4x16x40mm scope. I'm open to suggestions. What's the science behind making the proper adjustment? Expert replies only (implying that anyone who hits targets at 10 meters or further out is an Expert).:D
darryl
Note: the .22 grouping is on the left-hand side of the hole, the .177 is on the right side. I think you can see where they are separate. I put five shots through each barrel for this test. The .22 pellet was the Crosman Magnum Domed hunting pellet. The .177 pellet was the Beeman coated hollow-point. I think this relatively tight grouping from barrel to barrel was too much to hope for, but there it is. Again, using my cell phone camera. The right side looks a bit squared off because I tried to make the paper lay flat, and that took some of the "roundness" out of the .177 holes. The low shot on the left in the image is a .22 shot that sort of got away from me due to a too-relaxed hold. The 1073/RS2 seems to like a tight hold.
update edit: I'm back to shimming. That's the best possible way out of this without buying height-adjustable mounts
sorry about your cat Mrs.B. I thought it was a squirrel. Well, one down; eight to go! No Ma\'am. Not funny.

Offline darryl

shimmed the scope, shot some more...
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 04:16:21 PM »
Hi guys,
Well, no picture to post, but I've done my duty: re-centered the scope adjustments; shimmed the rear mount; shot some groups in .22; made some more scope adjustments (this time moving POA about 1/2 inch up,and about the same  with left windage. The Beeman model 1073 is a good shooter. Just needs me to put a thousand rounds through it (and one day a tune?). The rifle has some kick, and prefers a firm hold (did I say that already?). My next rifle will be an RWS 54 in .22. I figure about a ton of aluminum cans ought to about get it done. Ya think? BTW I haven't swapped barrels to test the .177 barrel since the latest shim job. Tomorrow, maybe. If I'm not too tired from the honey-do wars.
darryl