Author Topic: MP513 - in .22  (Read 12711 times)

Re: MP513 - in .22
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 03:55:22 PM »
I had an almost exact same experience with mine. It dieseled loudly the 1st three times I shot it, but really settled down after 500 pellets. I does have some spring noise still, but is alot smoother after 1500 rounds. It is still a beast to cock though. Did you get the spare parts with it? I had some trouble with the BSA scope holding its settings, I'm going to a 4x with a/o, hoping a simpler more rugged scope will hold up to the recoil. Watch out for loose stock screws, mine loosen about every 200-300 rounds, then the gun seems to be all over the place, one good snug up and everything is back to normal. I too love the trigger feature.

Offline daveshoot

• http://
Re: MP513 - in .22
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 12:33:26 AM »
Yes, the spare parts kits is a very nice touch that I wish all would emulate.
I plan to degrease and loctite all screws after some break in. Same with the scope mount. I have heard of using loctite on the dovetails as well. If that doesn't hold, I might need the fancier multiscrew mounts and/or the aftermarket stops.
I was originally going to go with a Bugbuster for size, weight, and simplicity, but I like a 9x for ground squirrels and have read just enough negatives on the Bbuster to skip it this time. Seems to bring out either the love or hate in people...
There was a great blob of preservative on the latching lug and the bore was quite black. Ran quite a bit of GooGone through until it came out clean. This is probably shipping preservative also, but it will be interesting to have a look at the innards and trigger assembly outside of the stock. Probably a good bit of gummy stuff in there.

I am not hurting for air rifles now, but I would consider an MP513 in .177 for the future. The SS1000 is my small-bore velocity star at the moment but it would be nice to have one this light.

Edited to add that it would really be cool to have this in a thumbhole stock. I do not need another project right now but I can't help wondering whether it would fit in a B26-2 stock... if I ever finish the Tyrol project on the one I have, it would be interesting to apply the lessons learned and inlet one for this beast. Looks like it might just fit.
Steroid Sheridan rocker, Daisy 990, SS1000, B26-2, QB-57, Crosman 150 (TW), Crosman 1377 x 2,  RWS5G, MP513, IZH53, RWS9N/Cometa, MP661k Drozd, Walther Falcon Hunter, RWS 34 Panther, XS-B3-1, Cummins B3s, RWS94 Cometa x 2, RWS48, Beeman R7, Daisy Avanti 853, RWS92 Cometa 220, Beeman P3, IZH-46M x 2, Daisy Avanti 747, Diana 24, B5-10, BSA Lightning .22, Crosman Marauder #39 .22, Crosman 1322 Phase 1, Diana Model 20, HW70, Shin Sung Dragon Slayer .50, Haenel Model 26, Slavia 620, HW45/.177

Offline hodgjy

• http://
RE: MP513 - in .22
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 04:34:09 AM »
I received my MP513 in .22 caliber yesterday.  Since Vince did a great job of summing up the rifle, I'll only add a few of my impressions and try my best not to repeat what was already said.

1) The stain of the stock is a lot darker than most of the pictures out there.  It's a dark stain that looks quite sharp.  It looks the same color as the MP513 that was listed in the classified section here some time ago.  The wood has some neat patterns in it with different color gradients.  It's not an unevenness of the stain--it's the wood itself.  I looks quite sharp and visually appealing.  I got the impression that the stock was hand cut and finished, rather than being made by an automatic machine, because there's some unevenness to the cuts.  There was a series of  gradual "waves" along all cut surfaces--straight and curved.  This isn't bad--it gives the impression that the rifle was handmade.  It gives it character.

2) I bought the rifle directly from EAACORP because everyone else on the planet was sold out of the .22 model.  I paid a little extra, but I didn't mind.  I needed the rifle ASAP to take care of some pests and to go on a hunting afternoon excursion with some friends.  The money saved wouldn't have done me any good while I was at home while my friends were out shooting dinner.  EAACORP packaged the rifle extremely well.  There was about zero chance of it getting damaged during shipment.

3) The front sight globe is HUGE!  I ordered a peep sight to put on the rifle, and I'll have to make sure I get a large diameter aperture or a ghost ring.  You can't really tell how huge the globe is from the pictures until you actually see the rifle in your hand.

4) This rifle is not going to win any beauty contests.  You can tell that it is a "workhorse" gun that was made by a military supplier.  There are no frills about it.  I would describe the gun as "rustic", but that has an appeal of its own.  I like it.  It's not too fancy or pretty where I'll be scared to use it out in the brush.  I won't be afraid to put a few scratches in the stock.  

5) The matte finish on the metal parts doesn't seem all that thick.  You can easily scratch it off.  I was scraping off some glue or other gunk that was left on the barrel during manufacturing and I accidently took some matte finish off.  This isn't heart-breaking because, like I said before, this rifle isn't going to win any beauty contests, but don't be surprised that some finish might come off after a hard trek through the woods, especially if you hit something hard like a rock or metal.

6) So far it seems like a great shooter.  Like Vince said before, it's a loud rifle with lots of recoil.  But, it doesn't seem or feel cheap at all.  It feels very authoritative when you shoot it.  It's works like a nicely put together machine.  I didn't find the trigger to be all that bad, but maybe I have low standards.  The first stage is very long, but I found the second stage to be rather predictable and crisp.  I actually prefer a little stiffer of a trigger since I also shoot powder burners.  I fired off about 30 shots last night with the iron sights.  I'm still sighting it in and getting a feel for the rifle (along with breaking it in), but it seems to be quite accurate so far.  I'll have a definitive answer once my peep sight arrives.  

7) All in all, I really like this rifle.  It's very rustic.  It's not fancy.  It reminds me of simpler days before the times of plastic fantastic everything.  It's not the most beautiful rifle in the world, but the combination of it's rustic character and workhorse aesthetics, it sort of makes the rifle very handsome in its own right.  It's actually not as harsh to shoot (at least to me) as others have said.

I think this will become one of my favorites.  I recommend it to anyone.  I would suggest the .22 version for hunting.  I'm sure the .177 is fine, but since I haven't handled it or shot it, I can't comment on that at all.
Slavia CZ 634 .177, Crosman Quest 800 .22, and Baikal IZH 513 .22.