Author Topic: Super Streak Going Downhill?  (Read 5191 times)

Super Streak Going Downhill?
« on: February 04, 2008, 12:48:59 PM »
I too was excited about my new springer, and when I got it I took it out hunting pigeons after checking the zero.  The first couple of nights were great hunting, but then things started going downhill.  First the scope came loose, no problem I could tighten it.  I took it off first and saw that the scope stop screw had made a gouge nearly 1/8" in the stop hole.  I put the stop screw back in and put another one behind it to keep it from backing out.  I remounted the scope and zeroed it.  Then I realized the screws holding the stock to the gun were coming out.  I tightened them and fired again.  Well this threw my rounds way off target.  I zeroed it again, but soon after the screws came loose again.  I put them in and applied some lock tight.  I cannot get the gun to shoot straight to save my life.  I get it zeroed, then it starts shooting off again.  I thought it might be the scope, but I tried the iron sights and I cannot adjust the windage far enough to get it center target and it is not shooting tight groups anyway.  I can't hit pigeons anymore even at 10-15 meters.  The gun doesn't seem to be hitting as hard anymore either.  I've put close to 700 pellets through it.  I'm about to give up.  I can't send it back because I'm in Iraq and even though I can get a pellet rifle in the mail they won't let me ship it out of the country.  I've tried different holds supported and un-supported.  I'm using mostly Crow Magnums, but I've also put Eun Jin 16 gr, Tomahawk 8.5 gr and Skenco 5.7 gr pellets through the gun, but they all drift.  The thing that baffles me is that it will get really tight groups for 3-6 shots then go somewhere totally different, then start hitting tight groups but in a different location.  Any of you Old Dogs or Young Pups have any ideas?  I'm willing to try I don't have anything to loose, the rifle is useless to me now unless I can figure something out.  Thanks for any input.

RE: Super Streak Going Downhill?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 01:20:39 PM »
Welcome to the world of highly sprung, magnum spring rifles!  Your description sounds just like those with RWS 350 magnums and to a lesser degree, Webley Patriots and the like. Arguably too strong a spring for all practical purposes.

Your gun has a huge spring under lots of pre-load. When that spring lets go, there is a lot of energy thrusting mostly forward, but back as well. This 2 way recoil is unique to spring rifles and in really powerful guns, it wrecks scopes, mounts and loosens stock to action screws. There is also a fair amount of torque as the spring rotates as it decompresses.

No easy fixes - take if a step at a time. 1) use blue Lock-tite on the stock-to-action screws. 2) get a really, really good mount. You'll need a BKL one piece mount with some drop compensation. I'd go with a model 260 D-7, which has .07" of drop built into it. Clean and degrease the mating surfaces and install the mount using blue Lock-tite on all mount screws. 3) Consider taking the gun apart and performing a lube tune to tame things down a bit. If you don't think you can do this, then just shoot it till it smooths out (1,000 - 1,500 rounds or so). Good luck.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: Super Streak Going Downhill?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 01:31:45 PM »
Preperation is the key word for a new springer...:) Especially a magnum springer. They are not just your run of the mill springers. You have to take preventative steps to achieve maximum performance from your air rifle accessories at all times. Scope, mount, sights, stock bolts and hardware, etc. Every time you take her out to shoot you need to check these things. Do not forget to loctite your scope mount to rails and a bit of blue loctite on your hardware, such as mounting screws. High bred springers are fantastic but they will fall to pieces if you do not do your job..:)

Just my experience and 2 cents worth..:)

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 01:42:59 PM »
And a scope to take that brutle abuse from that magnum. Some are rated for light ,medeum, and brutle recoil er double recoil hehehe. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 11:29:29 PM »
Tripleguy, Gene_SC, and Shadow, thanks for the information,  maybe all is not lost then.  It sounds like everyone likes to tinker with their rifles, I'm going to pull mine apart this afternoon and expose her guts, clean her and lube her, and then see how she shoots.  My expectations may have been a little high to begin with, especially since this is my first springer (I know everyone is thinking rooky, went for the flash and glitter, I admit I do, but when it was shooting straight and hitting pigeons they were falling like the stock market).  The scope is the Centerpoint that came with the rifle, any feedback on the quality of this brand of scope.  This one may be out there, but does anyone have experience with EOTech HOLOgraphic sights?  I have a model 552.A65 that I was thinking about mounting, but I'm concerned that the springer might screw it up, although it is designed for among other things machine guns which have a considerable amount of fore and aft recoil.  Thanks again and by the way this is a great resource I'll be back frequently and post updates to the peformance.   Chuck

Offline leftcoast1

• http://
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 12:13:05 AM »
Couple of things with EOtech. First thing is unless you find a weaver rail to mount on your gun you won't be able to mount the EOTech. BKL does make a rail to the weaver mount it will set it up high. Other thing is with no magnification the dot will cover most of your small targets at longer ranges. The dot sights work well for 10M and pistol. Hope this helps feel free to ask more questions. Oh forgot the scope isn't a Leupold so you optics are not going to be as sharp at high magnification but the scope works very well and is desinged to work on MAG springers. Center Point is owened by Crosman which owns Benji as well.
Jason
A couple of Springers nothin to get excited about.

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 09:52:34 AM »
Success!  Thanks to all for the advice.  I took her apart and cleaned the metal shards off of the piston and seal, wiped off the grease, and re-oiled the thing.  Shoots like a dream now.  Over 20 pigeons dead tonight at 15-25 meters with very few misses.  My friend is shooting a Crossman Tac Elite and he has had fits.  We tore his apart and did the same, now it is finally shooting straight.  Now that I have seen the guts of both guns I can say without a doubt the craftmanship of the piston and chamber are better in the Tac than the  Super Streak.  The SS reminds me of the machine work seen on an SKS and MAK 90, kind of crude.  But I'm not complainin' anymore and kind of feel bad for bashing the thing on a review site, like I said I'm a rook.  I'll probably get a new trigger for it and forget about the EOtech since the Center Point is doing the job.  The pigeon population in Iraq is on the decline.  Now if I could just have a beer to celebrate.

Offline leftcoast1

• http://
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 12:11:37 PM »
Glad she worked out for you. Keep them winged rats in line. Post some pics if you get a chance.
Jason
A couple of Springers nothin to get excited about.

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
I JUST RECENTLY PURCHASED AN ELITE POWERMASTER"SUPER STREAK" FROM DICKS SPORTING GOODS IN A .177. I HAVE TO SAY THAT I AM VERY IMPRESSED WITH THIS AIR RIFLE, AND SO ARE MY FRIENDS.I HAVE SHOT SEVERAL HUNDRED ROUNDS THROUGH THE RIFLE WITH ALL DIFFERENT TYPES OF PELLETS.MY FRIEND AND I WERE VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE ACCURACY WITH ALL THE DIFFERENT PELLETS. WE HAD VERY TIGHT GROUP PATTERNS AT 20 YARDS," NICKEL SIZE".MY FRIEND WAS SO CONCERNED ABOUT HIS RWS 460 AND HOW FAST IT CLAIMED TO BE SO HE WANTED TO COMPARE IT TO MY BENJAMIN SUPER STREAK. I SET UP MY DIGITAL CHRONOGRAPH AND FIRE AWAY WE WENT .IN THE END MY SUPER STREAK WAS ROUGHLY 40 FPS FASTER THAN HIS RWS 460. HE WAS KINDA UPSET BECAUSE ALL HE KEPT TALKING ABOUT WAS HOW HIS RWS 460 WAS THE FASTEST AIR RIFLE OUT THERE.THAT WAS UNTIL I INTRODUCED HIM TO THE SUPER STREAK.LIKE I SAID BEFORE HE WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE ACCURACY OF THE SUPER STREAK AND THE TIGHT PATTERNS IT SHOOTS.I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS AT ALL WITH THIS AIR RIFLE .THESE ARE SOME VELOCITY TEST FROM MY SUPER STREAK AND THE PELLETS I USED......GAMO PELLET 7.7 GR.---1105 FPS , BEEMAN HOLLOW POINT GOLD COATED----1156 FPS , RWS WADCUTTER PELLET 8.2 GR.----1051 FPS ,  CROSMAN LEAD FREE PELLET----1436 FPS , GAMO PBA GOLD------1269 FPS.I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THIS AIR RIFLE AND HAPPY FOR THE FACT I PAID HALF THE PRICE OF WHAT MY FRIEND PAID FOR HIS RWS 460 AND MY SUPER STREAK LOOKS BETTER TO. AS FAR AS MY GUN GOES AND HOW IT SHOOTS I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS AIR RIFLE . IT IS LONG AND TAKES USED TO COCKING IT AND IF YOU ARE SHORT IT MAY BE DIFFICULT FOR SHORTER PEOPLE TO COCK IT.