Author Topic: Shooting in Suburbia  (Read 9590 times)

Offline rr_shooter

• http://
Shooting in Suburbia
« on: March 10, 2008, 05:42:41 AM »
From the photos I’ve seen posted on this forum, it’s evident a number of you live on acreages or have direct access to shooting/hunting areas from your property (lucky!).  My question is more for those who, like me, have to feed their air gun addiction while living within the confines of suburbia.

The statutes for the city in which I live prohibit the discharge of air guns (hard to believe in Texas of all places, but true, nonetheless).  Are statutes more lenient in other towns?  If not, how do you handle your outside shooting activities with your neighbors?  Have you discussed it with them, or do you work on the premise it’s easier to ask forgiveness than permission?  Ever had the cops called out by unhappy neighbors?
RWS 36 .177
TX 200 .22 Walnut
2 - B3-1 .177
Crosman 1377
TF-97 .22
Slavia 620 .177
Shanghai Model 62 .177

Offline crazy4salmon

RE: Shooting in Suburbia
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 06:15:36 AM »
Ask for forgiveness rather than permission. If the neighbors do talk to you about it, ask them if they would like to take a couple of shots at a target. They might just like it and become a member of the GTA family down the road. If the police do come, just play dumb. They aren't going to lock you up for shooting an air rifle in you back yard. Unless you have some unpaid tickets or warrant for your arrest :o . I shoot into a silent pellet trap in my house from time to time. Then out to the back yard with the boys. My neighbors haven't had any problems with it yet. Then again the air rifles are a lot quieter than the M1000's that blow up mannequin heads over the fourth of July :p .

Dan L

Offline Bill inTX

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 06:18:19 AM »
I would suggest proactively clearing it with your neighbors so that they understand "what that popping noise is" and see that your target setup is safe. I do backyard shooting here in Fort Worth, and my neighbors are very cool with it. However, I do respect the noise levels and time of day (no early morning shooting). I talked with some local law enforcement people and they say that "BB gun target shooting" is generally tolerated as long as nobody files a complaint.

Offline Big_Bill

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 06:19:17 AM »

Hello YOUR NAME,

I too live in an area that doesnt allow the shooting of airguns, so I do my shooting in my basement.

Occasionally I go to the range, when I feel the need for longer range shooting !

If you set up your indoor properly, it can be fun, and challenging. :)

P.S. be certain where your shots will travel if you attempt to shoot in your backyard, It's our responsibility to keep our sport safe for everyone !

Bill

Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
Re: Shooting in Suburbia
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 09:55:56 AM »
Bill, what part of Fort Worth are you in?  I'm in the Summerfields, between Basswood and Heritage Trace.  Should go shooting sometime.
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline Jaymo

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
Remove a back window screen, such as kitchen, and shoot from inside the room to the backyard. That's what I do. But that's just because Idon't want the hood rats who moved in across the street to see my B30, think it's a firearm, and break in to steal it. Their dad's tried to run over their mom a few times, and I don't want him thinking that I can supply him with a weapon to finish the job. No, I'm not kidding.
15th Battalion, Mississippi Sharpshooters, CSA.

Il buono, il cattivo, ed il brutto.

\"Mmm, bacon.\"
\"Squirrel.\"
\"Mmm, squirrel.\"

Offline kcurrie

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 01:51:02 PM »
Funny you should mention it, I had a visit by the local police the other day. I've got a long yard, and people behind me (and to both sides). I have a trap set it at the far end, right in the corner so it's not pointing at the house behind me (it's off to the left). Anyway, I've been shooting out there daily until a few days ago when I ran out for a minute and came home to find a police woman in my driveway. She said "Hi. Were you shooting a pellet gun in your backyard." I said "Absolutely! I had checked with another officer and he said it was ok to shoot on your own property". She was smiling and said "ok, don't worry about it, my son has a pellet gun too". I asked if there was anything wrong with it, she said not a thing, it's fine. The neighbors called the police because they weren't sure if it was a pellet gun I was pointing down the yard.
Playing with:
Gamo .177 CFX/GRT-III / Delta
Baikal .22 MP-512M
Crosman 2240/ 2250 / 1377c / 1077 / 781
2 X .22 B3 / .22 QB362 / Daisy 22sg / No 100, Model 38
Beeman P17 / Beretta PX4 Storm .177 (and 9mm)
Ruger Airhawk .177 / XS-B3-1 (ak-47) .177
----------------------------------------------------

Offline Bill inTX

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 01:59:14 PM »
Dan -

I'm nestled down here in the lovely TCU neighborhood. I guess I pass your place every time I drive up to Cabela's for pellets anf targets.

Shootin' weatherand Daylight Savings have arrived, so maybe I can get out more. Maybe we can meet midway (Flying Saucer downtown...?)

- Bill

Offline Curioguy

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 02:25:48 PM »
I can’t shoot in my backyard either.  There is a public golf course behind me and the golfers teeing off might get a little upset with me pointing a rifle in their direction.  Although some of their tee shots can be more dangerous than me shooting into a target box.  For that reason, I set up a 21’ range in my attic and I’ll shoot in my garage occasionally. Anything longer than that I head on up to Mike’s place. :)

Offline ribbonstone

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 02:57:58 PM »
Also a suburban shooter unless I head to other folks land, so most of my home shooting is @ 25yards.  

Considering the range, would be better to start with a quiet rifle for home use...the quieter the better; no real need for super power just to shoot at 25yards.

While things that attach to the muzzle to deaden noise aren't allowed, can build a big version that does NOT attach to the gun in any way.  Something as simple as a chicken wire tunnel, wrapped in old shag carpet or open weave cloth, set ahead of your bench can really deaden noise.  Leave just enough room for barrel clearance AND sighting (so make the tunnel taller than wide)...make sure the barrel is inside the tunnel....can do a whole lot of bench testing/chrongraphing without anyone being disturbed by noise.

Given a quiet enough rifle, need to consider a quiet backstop.  So far, nothing has beat  a two foot tall stack of carpet cut into squares.  This is two foot of END ON carpet, with a 2X4 backing wall for any that get thought the seams). Cost?..free, just look for someone replacing their nasty worn out carpet; just ask before picking it out of their trash.
Robert

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 03:06:23 PM »
Bill inTX - 3/10/2008  8:59 PM

Dan -

I'm nestled down here in the lovely TCU neighborhood. I guess I pass your place every time I drive up to Cabela's for pellets anf targets.

Shootin' weatherand Daylight Savings have arrived, so maybe I can get out more. Maybe we can meet midway (Flying Saucer downtown...?)

- Bill

Yep you drive right by me on the way to Cabubbas.  Are you a long time resident of the TCU area or a student?  I really like that area of town, the Historical District is nice to drive around on a Saturday, followed by a trip to Panera for a bagel and a walk around the Botanical Gardens.  I probably have that sort of Saturday 5 times a year with my kids...actually did that about 2 weeks ago while a friend was visiting.  The barmaids at the Flying Saucer are great to look at, but how well can they shoot?  There'll be no sherkers in my airgun club:)  Honestly I rarely go downtown and barhop, maybe twice a year I'll take my wife to dinner down there and then pop over to the Flying Saucer to listen to some music, or maybe up the street for a movie.  Wouldn't mind hooking up for a trip to Cabelas some Saturday to hang out, check out the airguns and pick up some ammo.  Also there's about half a dozen of us in the DFW area that hook up every once in awhile to shoot together.  I went shooting this past weekend with one of these guys, my good friend Joel Lively, out in Decatur, but we are planning on having a shootout out by Weatherford in the not so far off future AND we are working on a location for the Autumn Airgun Festival (might have found a location as of this past weekend).  Keep your eyes on the Regional Shooting Events forum, I'll post it there when we get something settled.

Oh yea, in answer to the reason you posted in the first place.....my backyard backs up to one of those flood ditches they carve to keep the neighborhoods from flooding.  So behind my back fence is about a 30 yard gap between me and the backyard neighbors.  I shoot off my porch at an angle down and towards the corner of my yard, so if I miss it just goes into the flood canal.  My neighbor on one side is too old to hear me, and the neighbor on the other side is a gunnut, so he could care less.  The neighbors behind me can see into my backyard, but once the trees behind the fence get their leaves back no-one can see in.  Right now I'm only really shooting my Tau in the yard which is pretty quiet.  When I turn my Career way down low I can shoot that also, but my QB is too loud and the B26 is a bit loud also...usually save those for when I go out in the country.  Shot my good friend Joel Lively's .50 cal Dragonslayer this weekend, what a cool airgun, and way too loud for the city limits:)  Shoot me an email next time you need pellets/targets, I'll hitch a ride or meet you there.  Think my email is under my forum profile, but if not danieljnelson (at) sbcglobal.net

Here's some pictures from our little shootout this past weekend.
http://airgunartisans.com/CaseysPlace.htm

Take care,
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 03:33:31 PM »
As far as I can decipher from San Antonio's city code, there are no regulations regarding shooting air guns.  I still try to be discret about my shooting, to not draw too much attention.  I have a decent little range set up in my backyard.  I shoot mostly out of my garage into a silent trap in my backyard about 10 yards away.  Most of my guns don't look like a typical "firearm" so they don't look so manacing when I take out birds in my front/back yard.  I would love to get a B26 or something similar, but without acreage to wander it would just draw unwanted attention.

-Josh

Offline roadrnnr42

• GTA Donations
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 05:49:25 PM »
I live in Frisco, TX. No discharge of any type of air gun. Denton allows up to 300fps. Corinth has no limits on FPS. Restrictions say you have to build an approved shooting range in your backyard. I am lucky to have access to land to shoot on. 13 acres in the city limits, 50 acres out of city limits. New law allows you to shoot on 10 or more acres in city limits if it was not annexed prior to 1982. You need to check into that. Any "agriculturlal Land" annexed prior to 1982 you can shoot shotgun or air gun for hunting. 50 or more acres no restrictions on type of gun for hunting. If you have some agricultural land near you, the owners may allow you to shoot on it. All you need is their permission in writting.
See the attached regarding code 251-002

Offline roadrnnr42

• GTA Donations
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 06:07:26 PM »
Bill and Dano, any time you need more range for your guns come up to Denton. I have a 100 ft. indoor range. Rain or shine I can shoot. When I feel like shooting longer distance I open up the overhead door and have an additional 300 or so feet to set out targets, although my maximum is 50yds or so for target practice.

Offline Bill inTX

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 12:48:47 AM »
I'm more of the age group where people wonder if I'm TCU faculty. However, I'm really employed at an airplane factory on the west side of town, but have lived in the TCU area since the mid-80's.

I'll let you know when my next Cabela's Road Trip gets scheduled (I almost bought an RWS34 last time...). Another good trip is "Cheaper Than Dirt". Good place for targets and to rub elbows with paramilitary militia members buying assault rifles.