Author Topic: If you are sick of using Windows  (Read 3745 times)

If you are sick of using Windows
« on: September 01, 2006, 05:35:56 AM »
I have been helped alot by everybodies knowledge on airguns and my own airgun knowledge is limited but I do know alot about computers.  For those of you that are having trouble with using windows or need a new operatiing system there is another great option called Linux.  In the past it was beleived that installing Linux on your computer was a hassle and you needed to have a computer degree, but nowadays it is just as easy if not easier than windows.  Especailly if you have older hardware and want to use an up to date OS with out moving at a snails pace or just want a free operating system and don't want to keep shelling out $200 dollars every time Microsoft brings out a new version of windows.  Plus think of no viruses anymore and never having to pay for software.  I know this is off topic but I was trying to think something I could bring to the table for all the help I have received.  I you ever need any help or have a computer related question feel free to send me a PM - Michael

Offline -=ed

• http://
Re: If you are sick of using Windows
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 07:22:43 AM »

Unless you have a close and easily contacted aquaintance fluent in it, it's not a good choice.

Besides, you can't play MechWarrior on it :) :) :)

-=ed..................... \"...and in our dark despair, against our will... wisdom comes...\"

RE: If you are sick of using Windows
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 10:04:47 AM »
As a Mac, Linux, and PC user, I agree that in some respects, Linux holds an advantage over Windows however, it still has a long way to go when dealing with modern hardware. The fact that I have to jump through hoops to get Broadcom drivers loaded (ported from Windows) remains a major thorn in my side. Although this is the fault of Broadcom itself rather than Linux, it still taints the end-user's experience. Another advantage that both Mac and Windows hold besides driver support is a single tried and true method for installing programs.

Russ S.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 02:08:25 PM »
Ya Linux is alright but as Russ pointed out it is still far away from Mac or Windows as far as being totally friendly to a new computer user.

I have used both Mac and Windows most of my years in development. Actually started with Dos... lol.  I have a friend who hates Windows and has since Windows 3.1.... but he still uses it because he is a developer and Linux just won't cut the mustard when it comes to high end programs that are written for Windows...:)

You are right about Linux being free source and there are hundreds of programs that will run on Linux. But hardware still is an obsticle at times..

When all the software corps. decide to write drivers for Linux I will keep using Windows.

As far as servers go, then Unix is the big brother of them all...

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

From another prospective, supporting PC's for the past 20 years, things might be changing. Since the Apple announced they were using Intel CPU's and making a version of their OS X supporting the x86 CPU's. I have seen a lot of my business client wanting info on making their system dual booting. Using Windows for all their business applications. Then switching to OS X for Internet access. Until Apple officially supports this, you will have to do it under radar. There is plenty of info on the Internet explaining how to install OS X on a non-Mac system. I personally don't see a lot of problems running windows. Just as long you practice safe Internet browsing!!! Until the time when Apple will officially allow non-Macs to run OS X, my clients are on their own.

Linux and Free BSD is just another story in itself!!!!!

ps. Linux(UNIX) is not completely above it either. Remember the one of the first computer virus was created in a Unix based environment!!

Offline jct842

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 10:45:59 AM »
thats me, actually I have been using linux ever since windows XP hit the market.  when I read up on it and the registration and ula's I said no.  I am no guru and never will be.  I banged my head on the wall the first couple years but I have never looked back.  I have on purpose, opened several virus and actually printed one for the un-believing windows friends.  all I could make of it was about 10 pages of machine language.  it is such a neat thing not to have to run anti-virus or worry about getting one, or a trojan.  I believe most home windows users could easily switch today.  Linux has got so easy to run the last few years.  It is 1/3 the effort to install as say win98 is.  those who play the latest games will have to stick with windows for now.

What I can not understand is when you go buy a car how many people would be satisfied to get a say dodge or a chevy, and have no other choice?  How long would people put up with a choice of only one brand of car?  or one color car.

I use MEPIS on this computer and UBUNTU on my laptop.  both versions of DEBIAN linux.  I have tens of thousands of choices for software that I have never paid a dime for.  I generally update twice a year with a brand new operating system.  when I replace my operating system I save my home partion that contains all my personal information and all my personal settings.  try that with windows.    John.

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 04:18:21 PM »
Yea, Linux can be pretty cool, but as far as never having a virus, you're out of luck.  Same with Macs.  The reason behind there being few viruses for these platforms is because there is little impact of a virus on the Linux world compared to Windows.  Think of it this way, if you were say the uni-bomber and wanted alot of attention from your uni-bomber friends, would you make a bomb that only effected one person, or a bomb that effected 10,000 people...remember this is a theory, we don't really want to blow anyone up.  If you said "I want to effect one person" then you really wouldn't be getting any publicity, or very little these days....but if you built the mother of all bombs, then you would be on the news around the world in every language...and thus would have the respect at all of your uni-bomber social gatherings.  So why write a virus that effects 100,000 people, when you can write a virus that effects 100,000,000 people?  Also, you have to remember that as alot of people use Windows, alot of would-be virus writers also develop their viruses on Windows...thus making compilation and distribution much easier:)  As more people start using these OS's I think you'll start seeing more and more people going out of their way to make life harder on those users.  Writing viruses, hacking, cracking, etc, etc, etc, ...is as much a culture as any music genre, artistic style, street gangs, or even an airgun club or forum.  These people get their kicks by making a name for themselves in their little corner of the globe...hard to go global when you only effect 5% of the computer using public, when you could effect 95% with the same amount of work:)

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline -=ed

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 02:48:34 AM »

I know a bit about computers too.

Started in 1977 with DEC-RT11, and later. RSX.
Helped write Spell-11 with Midnight Data.
Written specialized data analysis programs.

My opinions:

MSDOS3.3-6.2 [fun]
TriPos [Amiga, interesting]

Windows 2 [disaster],
 3 [a little better],
 98 [acceptabable],
 me [crime against god and man],
 NT4 [good first try] [imitation of RSX]
 W2k [consummation of empire]
 XP [eh, why did they mess with a good thing]

Older UNIX [you gotta be kidding]

Susi Linux 8 [ho, hum... almost]

.Your perception of the virus problem is way overstated.

There will always be electronic vandals. A good firewall router is good for both *nix and W*, and cans most other stuff right at the jack in the wall. A couple of good *ware catchers, free or commercial, will catch most of the rest. If you take precautions and don't do stupid things, like clicking all those buttons on websites and open email attachments for or from things you never heard of, and stay current with patches [which is automatic now, for those non-techies], you should have no problem. Most standalone systems that follow these simple rules don't

The uninformed get into trouble no matter what they do. The last virus that gave me problems was "Microangelo", which was a long time ago. It just takes a little care, like changing the oil in your car once in a while

I especially appreciate *nix when I run Dramatica, Photoshop, Illustrator, VMWare, and most importantly, *MechWarrior*, and when I hook up my scanner or networked photoprinter or Nas storage unit.

You are misleading people about *nix. It has its own share of problems,but it has a vocal PR firm, the technically versed and the techie wannabies, pushing it.

Does Chairgun, or any other useful ballistic program, run on *nix?

My last 2 cents

-=ed..................... \"...and in our dark despair, against our will... wisdom comes...\"

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 04:42:31 AM »
Well, Ed..... I see we have another guru amongst us...:) Tired eyes and logic is all that is left......he he he

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline -=ed

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 07:08:39 AM »

I have 6 computers, a networkedlaser printer, a NAS storage device on a gigabit network, one of which is always connected to the internet for special email and Internet access, and it's been up and running constantly on W2k for a several years now, as have the rest of them.

My server is up for a year or more at a time,24/7 except when I have to do a restart for patches. None of them have been compromised.. When I set up or install computers, I take simple precautions and there's hardly ever a problem.

I pay M$ for this attempt at stability and universality in an O/S. It's is worth it.

Windows could be better, but so could everything.

I bet an Air Wolf could be better... Naaaaahhhh. :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 07:58:28 AM »
Well I shut down my network and pieced some if out when I left California last year. Since then I have retired and only have 4 of them networked now and that is just for convienence sake. But you are right about security. Where there is a hole someone will bound to try and break through. My systems had never been compromised due to the fact that I have done as you have...:)

Have you ever read any books on Peter Norton and how virus's became popular in the Microsoft OS? Very interesting reading.

Dang Ed, I want another PCP under 7lbs...... you gots any ideas... he he he

Gene

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 11:49:28 AM »
When I originally posted this it was not to change people from using Windows or to start a debate on why windows is better than linux or vice versa, it wasdirected toward people that were interested in Linux or for people who had some questions about it. The main intent of the post was that people here had helped me out a lot with air guns and I was thinking of something that I could bring to the table, I am not here to "convert" anyone and I am not anti-windows either, there is a reason it has 95% of the desktop market.   I am not one of those people that thinks that their OS is the best and the rest are no good, If you have found something that works for you that is great, that is what computers are supposed to be, a tool.  If the tool doesn't make what you are trying to accomplish easier than there is no point in using it.  For me Linux fits my needs better than the others.   Thanks - Michael

P.S.  As far as virus's go, I know a little because that is what I do all day (If you need help with infections feel free to PM me too).  I write cleaner definitions for a national anti-virus company near Seattle, WA, it is true that more people write viruses for windows but not only because there are more windows users, the main reason is that windows users have admin rights automatically and Mac and *nix users don't, so the success rate for someone writing viruses is through the roof.  On windows the infection doesn't need someone to allow anything, all they need to do is download the wrong thing or click on the wrong thing and POW, where as Mac and *nix machines need some one to allow the infection in and then allow it to write or manipulate any root files, they force you to practice safe computing.  Windows has changed this on Vista but people are already complaining that the constant "do you want to do this" windows are really annoying.  The fact of the matter is that there are people that have no AV solution and are virus free due to smart/common sense computing.  But for every one of them there are 1000 people that have no idea clicking o.k. on any window that pops up and the guys downloading that "free" cover your tracks from adult sites and wonder why they are infected.  What it comes down too is using some basic protection and being smart about your computing and you should be fine whatever OS you use.  

Thanks again for a great forum and great friends :)

Offline -=ed

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 11:55:37 AM »

OK

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 12:00:32 PM »
Hey Michael

I should of mentioned that you were offering your knowledge in my previouse posts. Sorry. You are right about all the viruses and how they come about to end up on our computers..:) Most people do not know about clicking ok on the dang pop ups etc. Some of them actually are designed to look like part of MS Windows OS. I caught my wife doing it once.. lol. Even with the email, curiousity kills the cat allot. The general  computer user has no idea of the trouble or problems they can get from the internet.

I do want to thank you for your contribution.

Look at all the money that Peter Norton made on viruse software.. he he he     Do you think he may have paid some Europeans to spread viruse in the early 90's so he could sell his software..:) think about it...:)

Gene

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 12:32:39 PM »
Yup, I wholey agree with you.  My kids are the worst, game cheat sites, download the latest level for Tetris, whatever...

My big point, which actually wasn't directed at you was that all OS's suffer/could suffer from an attack...nothing makes one safer than the other except for the piece of hardware between the keyboard and the office chair.  Privelages could be a determining factor too, I had not considered that...but something tells me if I wanted to write a billion new files in a for(int i = 0;i<=_available_disk_space;i++){} I could pull it off given enough time on just about any machine...why....because it still all comes down to that piece of hardware between the keyboard and office chair that is unversed enough to press "ok".  People are their worst enemies, not the internet:)

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008