Author Topic: BKL Mounts  (Read 8960 times)

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
BKL Mounts
« on: September 17, 2006, 12:39:15 PM »
BKL Mounts are made from high-grade aluminum alloy. They are a high tech design that work well on Gamo springers. The reason I said Gamo springers it is all I have them mounted on..:) They are lite weight very strong and there are various designs that can be applied to most all air rifles. In my opinion they fit very snug on my Gamo's.They also use very large allen head bolts for tightening of the rings and mounts.  I actually have to spread the mounts base to even get it in the dove tail grooves.

They have been very effective on my S1K's and CFX's when other mounts would not hold. They hold the scopes in place without any gouging or stress marks. I have not had any mount or scope creep in over a total of 3000 shots with my springer air rifles. I started out with a Model # 254 on my first S1K which I could not keep a mount on until I drilled a set screw hole in top of barrel. The BKL mount has held fast for over a 1000 rounds.

This review is based on the Model's 253 and 254 cantalever mounts. They are very attractive not to mention there strength, weight and all the engineering put in them by BKL. There are a number of models to choose from and they make them in, Matt, Gloss, and Silver.

I would recommend BKL mounts for anyone who is having trouble keeping a mount or scope from creeping.

The prices vary on which style you buy. The Model 253 and 254 cantalever's run around $37.00 to $42.00.

So if you are having problems with your mounts and scopes staying put, try a BKL scope mount. You won't be sorry. You will be happy..:)

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline daved

• http://
RE: BKL Mounts
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 04:30:41 PM »
I guess you could call this a counter review.  I ordered the BKL Mod. 260 1 pc. droop compensated mount for my new RWS 350 and Simmons 44 Mag combo.  This mount only has 1/8" clearance between the mount base and the scope rings.  The Simmons 44 Mag turret ring is 1/8", which leaves zero clearance.  Of course, this only became apparent after the scope was mounted and tightened down.  Fortunately, I don't think I did any damage to my scope, but I'm not certain yet.  Also, the 1 pc. mount only has 2 screws holding each ring cap.  The 6 screws in the base MAY keep that from moving, but the scope can still slip in the rings on a heavy recoiling gun like the 350.  I say may, because the base did slip on the 350 on the first go round.  And yes, I take responsibility for the slippage, a little sloppy in my install.  These are also a standard height mount, which could cause problems with the clearance of the bell on some scopes.  The 44 Mag barely cleared, a 50 mm or bigger probably wouldn't have cleared.  You can get it in a taller version, but then you can't have droop compensation.  Price direct from BKL was $66 with shipping.  For the money, I'll be going with Beeman adjustables in the future.  BTW, the turret ring on my Leapers 30mm scope is less than 1/8", so if the 1" Leapers are the same, they'd probably work fine.  Don't know what the clearance is on the BKL 30 mm mounts, but I do know you can't get droop compensation with the 30 mm mounts.  My rateing- close, but no cigar.  There's lots better for the same or less.

Dave

Offline Gene_SC

Re: BKL Mounts
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 02:10:13 AM »
I never could understand why one would use a 30 mm on a air gun. Maybe because the particular scope is not available in 1". I would not like a scope mount either if it only had 2 screws per scope ring. I do know that my BKL 253 and 254 mounts that I buy have 4 screws per scope ring. Also one thing that I have noticed is that the BKL mounts that I use have a rough surface inside the scope rings and along the dove mounting area, plus you have to spread the mounts before you can even get them on the rail, which I would think would hold the scope shaft better. Now I would never use a BKL 253 or 254 scope mount on my Hunter 1250, because of the heavy recoil. I am using the Accushot mount which has 4 screws per ring and 4 screws on the base. It holds fine..:)

I think you have had a bit of bad luck with your scopes and mounts this go around Dave..:) Hope the Beeman mount does the trick for you.

My experience with the BKL mounts have only been on the Gamo Air Rifles and I have had no problems with clearance or slipping with any of my scopes. But I only use the 1" shaft scopes and mounts... :)

Keep us informed on how your new mount and scope work out Dave..

Good Luck
Gene

THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline daved

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 08:50:47 AM »
Because a lot (most?) of the Leapers scopes have 30 mm tubes!  And, at least in theory, it's also supposed to give you more adjustment range.  I will admit, it means a lot fewer choices in mounts.  I went looking this morning, and I can't find ANYONE that makes an adjustable mount for 30 mm scopes.  And Mac1 looks to be the only one doing fixed drooper mounts.

Saying I've had some bad luck with scopes/mounts lately is a major understatement!  It's safe to say that if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck!  But it does look like the Beeman adjustable will do the trick, although the durability of the 44 Mag is still open to question.  Time will tell...

Dave

Offline -=ed

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 09:21:55 AM »

I have a B-square fully adjustable 30mm 1-piece.

People say they are a pain, but if you tighten the screws, it works as stated, and hasn't come loose on me.

A thin film of contact cement, allowed to dry thoroughly on the inside of the rings, stops tube slippage, at least for me.

-=ed..................... \"...and in our dark despair, against our will... wisdom comes...\"

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 09:51:05 AM »
Yes the Beeman adustible mounts are good. It will be interesting to see how it holds on the 350 and how the Magg withstands the recoil. Could be a good review..:)

Gene

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline daved

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 04:19:42 PM »
Is that an old mount, Ed?  Reason I ask is they don't show such a critter on the B-Square site.  If it's a current peice, I'd love a model number if you have it.  Or where you got it, if you remember.  My only other option is shimming the Accushot mount I already have, because I'm definitely using too much scope adjustment just to get on target.  So thanks for the info.

Dave

Offline -=ed

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 09:56:00 PM »

I used this on my Shadow Supreme with a 56mm scope

Don't forget to get a 10% discount code when you order. I ALWAYS forget.

At Pyramyd air

Interlock AA 11 mm Mount
Extra long base to accommodate longer target scopes
Complete windage and elevation adjustments
"Auto pinch" angulations feature eliminates scope stress
Black matte finish

Airsport Airgun Mount
B-Square "AA" adjustable airgun mounts offer complete adjustment for windage and elevation, enabling the user to perfectly align a scope with the barrel of a gun while maintaining the scope at its optical center. It does all this plus provides a free floating action, produced by the gimbals, that allows the rings to tip forward or backward while putting zero strain on the scope tube.
Fits 9.5mm - 13mm dovetails
Dual position clamping
Unique thread recoil stop
4-screw wrap-around ring cap
Recessed screws
Twice the clamping area of conventional rings

Item DescriptionQuantityPrice
B-SQUARE Interlock AA Air Gun Mount 30mm ring × 11mm Air Gun Base by B-Square
Buy
Item#:BS17130
1$69.85
$54.85
-=ed..................... \"...and in our dark despair, against our will... wisdom comes...\"