Author Topic: "Other Gamos"  (Read 10282 times)

"Other Gamos"
« on: September 18, 2006, 12:09:09 PM »
I have a project which has been knawing at me for almost 2 years to do!
 One of the "Other Gamo's", a Daisy 120.
 The little rifle is a real beauty, bought second-hand but islike brand new for all purposes.
 I have shot it with & W/O scopes and it's potential is certainlly there however that trigger is brutal!
 I totally love the dimensions of this rifle and it's smashing power! No chrony, but if that's 600fps, WOW!
 Rather than changing sear angles, I have toyed with filing the sear's contact area length. I will not interfere with the angle this way and with some sort of trigger spring change (Lighter of course), will retain the metals hardening.
 I have considered the possibility of the danger of accidental discharge too and am wondering if it's worth the try?
 Any ideas?
 ZVP

Offline -=ed

• http://
RE: "Other Gamos"
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 12:58:40 PM »

Be careful when you do this.

If you end up going down too deep on the triggers sliding area, you lose the case-hardened layer of steel, and it can go bad

-=ed..................... \"...and in our dark despair, against our will... wisdom comes...\"

Offline daved

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 01:42:55 PM »
I agree with Ed, things can go bad in a hurry that way.  What about using one of Bob's GRT III's?  Will it work in a Daisy?  From what I understand, the Gamo trigger design has been around for years, pretty much unchanged, and "borrowed" by other manufacturers.  Based on my experience with both a GTX II and the GRT III, you just can't go wrong.  Good luck, and keep us posted on the project.

Dave

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 06:09:50 PM »
Let me know if this works i have a 120 too and that trigger is a bear but the gun is a real swet heart otherwise!
  Funny thing is I bought this gun on auction and shipping cost me more than the gun! I only paid $15 for the gun and shipping was almost $20!

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 12:42:53 AM »
JMLV

Is that a wood stock or plastic? Looks like wood but can't tell with picture..

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Re: "Other Gamos"
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 02:45:39 AM »
Thats one of the neat things about this rifle if only cost me a total of $35 and its all wood and steel. A real "steal" thanks to a basic auction and nobody elses intrest in the gun. It will be a sweet little shooter once i find some type of trigger fis that don't cost more than the gun.

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 06:22:49 AM »
The new Gamo trigger WON'T fit this rifle Darn-it!
 I need to study this idea a little more because I know there HAS to be a "fix"!
 *Maybe relocating the fulcrom point of the Sear pivot???
 Everything about this gun is right. I think even way back then, the fears of a light trigger on an entry level rifle scared the Gamo Legal's...
 ZVP

Offline ribbonstone

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 10:35:09 AM »
If I rember those old gamo's right, the sear actis diretly on the piston's sear...no middle links.  Think in terms of limiting engagment by limiting the amount of "bite".

trigger is a thick foremed sheet steel part (again, memeory is hazy after so much time) and hardened....it is soft under the hrdening, so if you file/stone too much and break through to the soft settel under the surface hardening, end up with a fast wearing sear that won't last a tin of pellets.
Robert

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 10:10:14 PM »
OK heres a helpfull tip. If you file on the sear and break through the hardening there is a way to recase harder the steel brownells sells this stuff which when applied to metal puts a hard surphace on it again. Lots of home tuners use it to reharder parts after tinkering. I think its calles kaseit or something like that. This stuff will allow you to do the needed work on your sear and reharden it so the adjustments will last. Hopw this helps I want to see how well you do since i have one of these rifles as well. gook Luck

Offline -=ed

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 01:21:27 AM »

Have you ever used this stuff?

It requires red heat for a while, which means if it's a small piece, it all has to be heated red.

I've used it a few times, and if the part is heated too long or cooled unevenly, as might jhappen with a torch, things can distort.

I had to lap out a small bushing and a flat pivot plate that distorted when they cooled.

Probably the tolerances are loose so it won't matter, , but just thought I'd mention it.

-=ed..................... \"...and in our dark despair, against our will... wisdom comes...\"

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 03:41:54 AM »
Well The trigger idea is still on the burner so to speak...
 Ya know there is even another way to attack the topic!
 I could maybe extend the trigger, via a trigger shoe (ala, a Chinese KL-3B Fast Deer fix), and get more leverage on the mechanisim?
 I did this with my .177 F/D and it worked wonders! Same trouble with the KL-3B but it is actually a "direct hook-up sear".
 The Gamo/Daisy120 uses an additional leverin it's trigger.
 I KNOW someone in Spain MUST have a fix for this, as the Cadet was a long running model over there!
 The rifle is simply too GOOD to not have someone have done trigger work on them!

Hmmmm, anyone know any English speaking Spaniards we could contact????

Anyway. I am still thinking on fixing this rifles ONLY problem!

ZVP :)

Offline ribbonstone

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 10:53:06 AM »
KaseKnit (or some such spelling...too lazy to out to the shed to check).

For small parts, it's better to solidly iron wire them to a larger chunk of steel and heat treat them both...more mass makes the process a bit easier.

Have used it may times, and it will do the job. Usually better to do several treatments on thickish parts, fewer on thin parts.
Robert

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 11:22:36 AM »
What is the actual Model of this air rifle ZVP? I am gonna start looking for one. You got my interest up... :)

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 09:34:31 PM »
Its a Daisy model 120 which is a Gamo "cadet" rebadged for daisy. The Daisy models 130 and 131 are good little springers too also Gamo models if I remember correctly. See photo on my previous post this little rifle is all metal and wood little to know plastic the ONLY fault I can find with this little gem is itz horendous trigger.  Once theres a fix for that its gonna be golden!

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 01:47:47 PM »
Gene, As Jim said the Old Daisy/Gamo 120 is actually a Gamo Cadet.
 They're a well made gun, desighed as an entry-level rifle. Velocitys are usually in the low 600's, cockilg is easy, and the sights are clear and solid.
 The LOP may be somewhat short in comparison to todays guns, but nothing uncomfortable. (The LOP at my trigger is 131/4")
 The components are as reliable as a Claw Hammer,  in fact the Barrels appear to me to be at least the equal of any fine European Manufacturers "good Stuff"!
 The only problem is that Bi -Brother-proof trigger!
 They do come in .22 domestically in Spain and under the Cadet stamp, but the #2 Bore takes a lot away from the little mainspring... You're much better to get a .177cal.
 Yep, they are usually cheap when ya find one too!
 Now here's a little tyidbit you may want to remember.
 Gamo made some "repeater" Cadets that were labled for Daisy as the Model 130"A". They also sold a single shot 130 built on a Cadet action.
 Both were re-sprung to around 800fps!!!
 Gamo then followed up with a Model 130"B". This was a new model (looks like the Daisy 131, but with a smooth,un-grooved forearm. The BBL is of the plastic shrouded type (also very accurate) and this "B" model can take one of Charlies trigers since the trigger group is of the later model desigh.
 My 130"B" is a real barn-burner!  Open-Sighted and fired over a bench, it's quite accurate out to 50-60 yds, in stock just broken-in trim.
 I really like both of my Gamo/Daisys and also my other two .22 cal British Milbro/Daisys.The Model 120 and 250.
 Yea iIkinda like some of the Daisy airguns, and own several models!
 HTH,
 ZVP