Author Topic: Darkside Advise  (Read 14063 times)

Offline PelletPaul

• http://
Re: Darkside Advise
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2008, 12:42:23 AM »
I see alot of Condor's in our hunting gate section and the power and accuracy is awesome. I see that nutters and racoons don't stand a chance when there is a Condor around.  I wish they weren't so ugly.  I'am sure that  most, their beautiful guns and I guess it would grow on me.  For me a nice walnut stock brings out the beauty in  weapons of these calibers.  I guess I'am just old fashion.
Kiwi - No one has said much on the Evanix AR6.  I did notice that in a review it said to be very loud.  But the shear power ratings were out of this world.  Does anyone have a Daystate huntsman?  I sure like the looks.
FX Cyclone .22cal.6-24x44 Hawke scope  
HW97K .20cal.w/Elite 5x15x40 scope

Offline hunter220

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2008, 01:55:39 AM »
PelletPaul - 12/30/2008  5:42 AM

I see alot of Condor's in our hunting gate section and the power and accuracy is awesome. I see that nutters and racoons don't stand a chance when there is a Condor around.  I wish they weren't so ugly.  I'am sure that  most, their beautiful guns and I guess it would grow on me.  For me a nice walnut stock brings out the beauty in  weapons of these calibers.  I guess I'am just old fashion.
Kiwi - No one has said much on the Evanix AR6.  I did notice that in a review it said to be very loud.  But the shear power ratings were out of this world.  Does anyone have a Daystate huntsman?  I sure like the looks.

Yeah, to each his own.  I wanted the tactical look of the condor, that was another thing I liked.  It is very easy to modify and tinker with to make it even better too.  Like I said, if you want a more traditional air rifle the Air Arms might be for you.

Offline johnnyi

RE: Darkside Advise
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2008, 10:26:54 AM »
Paul,

Just FYI AOA has some deals on a few different BSA models.  Scorpion 10 and Super 10 are both on sale for $895.  Both are 30 FPE.  They Also have a sale on the Beech Cyclone for $1195.  Cyclone has selective 3 power levels.   But that is again way more than what I was considering.  So currently the Super 10 is looking pretty good for me...  Still looking.  I was hoping to find a nice experienced one on the forums.  No luck yet...
AZ MFR .177 Nikko 10-50x60
HW100 .177 Hawke Tactical 6.5-20x42

Offline PelletPaul

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2008, 01:29:47 PM »
johnnyi
I have a safe full of powder burners I don't use anymore.  I' am an archer and don't need them anymore.  So I can spent probably a little extra.  The initial price is probably just half of what you need.  Thing about PCP's is that there are alot of accessories to buy just to shoot it.  I still have to learn about all of that.  My Diana 54 after accessories and tune was well over $1000.  I see some PCP guys buying $2000 compressors just for air. But, I can't get away from the shear power these PCP's.  For a hunter like me, these are real efficient weapons.  

The search goes on

Offline johnnyi

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2008, 01:44:32 PM »
I hear you on that Paul.  I started shooting Archery in 1997 kept all of my powerburners until last year.  I finally got rid of almost all of my rifles, just was not doing anything with them.  Just sold my last high powered rifle a month or so ago.  I did keep a few .22's and some collectors.

About that post below about the  Evanix, seems like it would be good for the power.  Just not too sure about the Trigger and overall accuracy.  I need a clean break trigger and just not sure if that one will fit the bill.  But then you still have that extra couple hundred for a shroud.
AZ MFR .177 Nikko 10-50x60
HW100 .177 Hawke Tactical 6.5-20x42

Offline spark22

so many great rifles out there these days it's hard to pick isn't it!
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2008, 04:53:06 PM »
get a big scuba tank like a 88cf with a 3600psi fill for around $300 and start off with a mac-1 tuned discovery in 22cal I love mine to death and it wasn't tuned got it straight from the factory and it shoots between 850-835fps gets 40 good shots per fill and will take out any pest cleanly @ upto 75yrds.For a starter pcp for $230 they are a great deal!
Marauder .177                               benji discovery .22
fully tuned sub 12ftlbs quest 1000x
fully tuned remington vantage 1200
custom 1322 & 2240

Offline tat2dman

RE: Darkside Advise
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »
Don`t see 2 many used s-10`s,never had one,never fired one,never saw one for sale used!Do own 2 BSA`s tho,I think they`re a good balance between power and accuracy.Have a regulated Hornet and a Tech Star,the Hornet`s a .22 and the Tech Star`s in .32.Thinkin abot a Tech in 9 mm!(lotsa penny`s for that)Don`t even own a chrony,but I`ve found with both if I can see it,I can hit it,within reason 0`course,I usually leave my scopes on only 4-6x.Robert from AOA has a used Lone Star for $495,not sure of cal. they came in .22 or .25.She`s probably cherry to,they`ve only been out 1-2 years.I see alot of posts about the "extras" needed,well there are a few!But........when I shot competitive archery 25 or so years ago,it usually involved a bow case + a 2.5` x 4` case for all the goodies,yeah theres some start up expense,but once ya get over that it`s paid for!Like every sport/hobbies it`s the bit`s that kill ya.For me it was a natural fit,I`ve been shooting something competitavely for almost 40 years(Dad was a career Marine)Then a few years ago I found myself havin a couple of heart attacks,losin my job,you all know the drill,anyway after all was said and done I found myself with enough money to live but that was about it,forget about the trips to the range,ammo,and don`t even think of a new rifle,priced a Rem. 40 x lately?Airguns were a natural for me because I can stay home and shoot!And shoot I do!!Reminds me gotta order some lead..............off the soap box now,going back to reading!
Barry Jackson-765-602-1351
barryjackson40@gmail.com
Sig-Sauer P229 .40-for 2 legged vermin!
BSA Super 10 .22 FAC-Bowkett Blueprinted,BSA Super 10 .177 12 FP,tuned by me with JB`s assistance and pics.A couple of smokin QB-78`s-1 hot rod co2,1 pcp conv. by yours truly!!
\"Got a gun for the ole lady\"....good trade huh?

Offline daved

This has been an interesting thread...
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2008, 01:37:21 AM »
Had you been asking about springers, I suspect there would have been about 5 suggestions, and a bunch of agreement with those 5.  Despite the fact that I've now owned 5 PCP's, it never really occurred to me how much variety and price differences there are in these rifles.  It's even more interesting to note that your projected rifle budget quickly doubled or more :-).  

One thing I've noticed no one has asked, what's your intended primary use?  I know you said long range, but is that just paper, or hunting?  Do you want/need the extra expense and complexity of a repeater, or will a single shot do the job?  Keep in mind, very few standard air rifle pellets will tolerate velocities in excess of 1000 fps, so having a rifle that can launch a pellet at 1500 may be good for your ego, but it probably isn't going to hit much.  If you're hunting, a well placed hit at 15 fpe is far more effective than a miss at 200.  

I started with springers, moved into PCP's, messed around with modding the Air Force rifles, went the all out power route, my cutomized Talon SS could easily match or exceed the power of a Condor.  Finally took a hard look at the kind of shooting I was doing and realized I didn't need super high power, high caliber rifles for my shooting.  .177 ended up being the answer for me, I shoot a lot but it's mostly at paper or other targets, and ranges up to 50 yards or so.  The occasional hunting I do can be handled quite nicely by a 20 fpe rifle, mostly birds but with the occasional squirrel or ground hog thrown in.  In hunting, it's (almost) all about shot placement, and knowing the limits of you and your rifle.

So my long winded advice is, decide what you want a new rifle to do, decide on a budget and stick to it, think about the stuff I mentioned above, then buy the best rifle you can for the money.  You can get a used AA 4XX for well within your initial budget, the older bolt action single shots are even more reasonable.  The higher end rifles may get you a few more bells and whistles, and there MAY be a hairs breadth difference in accuracy, but whether it's worth the extra cost only you can decide.  Hope that helps some, and looking forward to your final decision :-).  Later.

Dave

Offline PelletPaul

RE: This has been an interesting thread...
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2008, 02:13:02 AM »
Dave,  Good scenario.  Hunting.  50-100yards, quiet, 30-40ft/lbs of power and extremely accurate.  Is there such a animal?  A traditional walnut stock.  Good looking.  I could get by with a single shot.  I'am retiring in 4 months and plan on traveling across this great country in a fifth wheel with springer and PCP by my side.  Costa Rica next year and Alaska the following year.  I have an outstanding springer now,but I need that 50-100 yard PCP.  I don't want the lowest price or the highest.  Somewhere between.  

The search continues......................

Offline daved

RE: This has been an interesting thread...
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2008, 05:36:32 AM »
Forgot one thing, Paul, how big is the game you're intending to hunt?  Assuming typical air rifle game, up to ground hog or raccoon size, most of the guns mentioned would be capable in .22.  Sound level could be an issue, the quietest factory rifle I've heard about is the FX T-12 Whisper, in .22 it's rated at 28 fpe.  If my Cyclone is any indication, it'll do better.  Accuracy won't be an issue, and FX rifles have good to outstanding triggers.  Air Arms S4XX series would also be a good choice, although I don't think the carbine will make your power cut off.  Not as quiet as some, but when I got my S400E, I thought it was broken, it seemed that quiet compared to the Talon I also had at the time.  And the newer ones are supposed to be quieter.  Lots of other choices, these are just some of the ones I have personal experience with.

If you plan on going after bigger game, forget quiet.  The heavy hitters like the Dragon Slayer or the Evanix AR6 are all loud, and it's hard to do anything about it.  The triggers aren't nearly as good, either, and shot count runs from bad to SUCKS :-)!  But lots of guys swear by them, and although I can't see owning one, the Dragon Slayer is a hoot to shoot.  Course, I seem to remember saying something similar about PCP's awhile back...  Later.

Dave

Offline rbtmckny

• GTA Donations
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2009, 07:46:45 AM »
Dear Paul,
   Like you I have been looking at PCP guns for the past couple of months. The extra expense was putting me off. I own two 177 cal. spring rifles and I wanted something with more power, so last summer I bought a 22 cal. Walther Falcon Hunter. It has a lot of power, but is not a gun to have fun plinking with. It has a lot of recoil and the trigger is not the best. It's also very loud.
   I want a gun that looks good, has a good trigger, is accurate at least to 50 yards, is powerful and is QUIET. I usually shoot at distances of 30-40 yards. I want a gun that I can hunt with, shoot targets and just have fun shooting things. I need something quiet to shoot around my house. My neighbors have been cool so far, but I usually wait for when nobody seems to be around. Sometimes I want to shoot but don't because my springers are too loud.
   When I started looking at PCP's, I was dreaming about Air Force and Logun air guns. What troubled me about those guns was I did not really like the way the air tank was used as the butt of the rifle. I started looking at BSA guns. In the videos at AoA, some of them seemed to be very quiet, but I was not thrilled with the way they looked. Then I started dreaming about Daystate and FX air rifles. Those two companies make some real good looking guns. Expensive too! I spent a lot of time, going back and forth between the two companies and the different models. I read all I could find on the web. I just could not make up my mind. I did not want to spend a lot of money and then not be happy with what I got.
   I started looking at the BSA guns again. They seemed better looking than I had thought before. I liked the Super Ten Bull Barrel, but it is a regulated air gun and I have read regulators wear out in a few years. I also liked the Scorpion T-10 Bull Barrel, it's unregulated with a knew improved valve. Less to go wrong. I don't want to hassle with having to send a gun somewhere to be fixed. Then AoA had a holiday sale and that sealed it. I took the plunge and ordered a BSA Scorpion T-10 Bull Barrel 22 cal., a yoke and hose and a tin of JSB Jumbo Express pellets from AoA. I also ordered a 100cf scuba tank and a BSA 6x24 40mm scope. The gun will come Friday( I can't wait), the scope will come Monday, the scuba tank will come Tuesday. I decided on a scuba tank because I am not big and only weigh between 145 and 150 lbs. I don't think I am big enough to work a pump. Plus having to pump the gun up every 40 shots seems like a lot of work. 40 shots can go by pretty quick!
   I probably did not help you out any with your decision, but this is what influenced mine.

Offline hunter220

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2009, 09:07:16 AM »
Paul, for hunting at 30+ yards and 30-40fpe, the Air Arms will probably fit your bill.  They have the wood stock your looking for and are very nice guns.  As far as being quiet, I haven't found a gun that is as quiet as the condor but you have already ruled that one out, so go with one of the air arms rifles.

EDIT:  here is a neat video I found displaying the accuracy of the condor.  http://s380.photobucket.com/albums/oo243/vellaboy/?action=view¤t=DSC_0001.flv

Offline daved

BTW, Paul...
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 04:46:10 PM »
If you're retirement travels bring you through Washington state, you're welcome to park your RV next to my shop, hang out and do some shooting, maybe tip a couple of beers if you're so inclined :-).  Open invitation, drop me a line.  Later.

Dave

Offline PelletPaul

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 11:03:01 PM »
Sure enough Dave.  Thanks for the invitation.
I'am leaning toward Daystate right now, but may change tomorrow.  Daystate have PCPs with up to 80ft/lbs.  I've watch some videos on AOA, extremely powerful, extremely quiet, extremely accurate and of course extremely expensive.  I believe they are the best of the best.

Paul

Offline Sc(+)pe

• GTA Donations
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2009, 03:05:23 PM »
I have not seen it yet but maybe want to throw the rapid into your spectrum, because the daystate's are not all that much cheaper than a rapid, and i have heard nothing but praise of a fantastic rifle from rapid owners.